Thursday, August 27, 2015

Little Red Monster by Sammy Savos and Carolyn Belefski


Little Red Monster, a collaborative mini comic by Sammy Savos and myself will be debuting at Small Press Expo in Bethesda, Maryland next month. The story is a week-in-the-life of Little Red Monster.

Sammy was Curls Studio's summer intern and she recently headed off to School of Visual Arts in New York City to begin her studies in cartooning.

I asked Sammy I write a brief paragraph about her internship:

"This summer I interned on Sundays for cartoonist Carolyn Belefski. I made buttons, packaged them up, sorted postcards, and took part in a podcast. I also drew a piece for the Kickstarter book, colored a Curls comic strip, and created a collaborative 7-page zine with Carolyn. It was a really cool learning experience to work with a professional artist to see what it's like to work in the world of comics! It was also really nice to get to know Carolyn and Joe and have them support me in my artistic endeavors."


One of Sammy's first experiences was helping out behind the table at Awesome Con. The Saturday at Awesome Con I asked her to volunteer with the actual show and she stuffed a lot of goodie bags all day long. I wanted her to see a convention from different angles. On that Sunday she spent the day with Curls Studio and got to learn how we interact with potential customers and the perspective of promoting once you finish creating your comics. 


Each week Sammy spent 4-5 hours with Curls Studio. The Curls strip Sammy colored is currently posted here. I'm excited to see the Curls art she did published in the book soon. We also had her on as a guest for the Carolyn and Joe Show podcast to learn the importance of public speaking and interviewing. 

You can view more of Sammy's work here. We really enjoyed having Sammy around and wish her the best at SVA and beyond with her career.

Be sure to pick up Little Red Monster at SPX for $1 on September 19-20, 2015. Curls Studio will be at table F14. We'll be posting a floor map and more details about the show soon!

No comments: